Fairtrade Fortnight, which runs from 25th February – 10th March 2019, is a chance to celebrate the people who grow our food.
As we don’t have the climate to grow crops such as cocoa, coffee or tea locally, we buy these from further afield to help our customers get their daily dose of caffeine. The countries that do grow these items don’t always have the same labour laws or minimum wage standards as we do in the UK. This is where the Fairtrade standard steps in to ensure farmers are not exploited and that they receive enough money to live on.
We work with all our suppliers to source only ethical products to make sure our purchases improve livelihoods rather than exploit the worlds poorest. Some of our coffee suppliers in particular choose to go above and beyond the certification model and work directly with farmers to strengthen all communities at their source.
Next time you fancy a chocolatey treat, choose brands such as Ombar, Divine and Green & Blacks to support farmers across the world.
Fairtrade Fortnight focuses on chocolate this year and with that in mind we thought it would be good to share our indulgent Fairtrade brownie recipe.
This recipe highlights the fruity rich tones of espresso with extra cocoa nibs for that added crunch!
Tin: 1 large tray (37 x 45cm)
Portions: 12 per tray (cut 6.5 x 8.5cm)
300g Fairtrade chocolate 72%
250g unsalted butter
400g Fairtrade light brown sugar
4 whole free range eggs
175g plain flour
25g Fairtrade cocoa
150g Fairtrade raisins
2 Extract Fairtrade shots of coffee (40ml)
250g Fairtrade sugar
150ml organic double cream
Salt to taste
150g of Salted pretzels
- Cook the sugar and water to make a dark caramel
- Remove from heat to stop the cooking process, add the butter and cream and whisk in
- Cool and add the salt to taste
- Melt the butter on the stove, and then add the chocolate and sugar.
- Remove from the stove and leave to gently melt together. Allow to cool.
- Then whisk the eggs in one at a time, fold in cooled espresso and raisins
- Combine the remaining dry ingredients and add to the mix.
- Swirl the caramel into the top and press the pretzel gently across the top of the brownie, placing sporadically
- Place in lined trays and bake until the first cracks appear on top
- Mark the sheet into 6.5 x 8.5cm portions. Store in fridge and enjoy!